Thursday, February 09, 2006

A job well done

Well hush my mouth..

Typical Charlton I suppose, pulling a result like that out of the hat when for the first time in a long time, there seemed to be more than a few dissenting voices speaking out about the way our football is being played at the moment.

I'm not particularly qualified to talk about the match, seeing as I started work this evening at 5 and I have only just arrived home now, but thanks to the genius of 3g mobile phones I was able to download a 10 minute highlight video from Vodafone Live and watch it at about 11:15.

From what I saw it looked like we were good value for the win, I was only watching on a 2" screen, but a penalty looked the correct decision for the first goal. Bent took it really well, doing what Shevchenko couldn't, and sending Dudek the wrong way.

I don't know exactly how long the ball was in play for between the first and second goals, but I would assume that Liverpool still felt wronged over the penalty incident when play restarted, and we took full advantage of that fact by scoring again immediately.

The only highlights from the second half I managed to see were the post and bar incidents. Both of which were incredibly unlucky, especially Marcus Bent's effort. It would have finished off a superb move and a superb evening if that one had crashed into the bottom corner.
Still, I'll certainly settle for 2 goals and a clean sheet against the European Champions.

Reading through various reports online it looks as though we were outplayed for the majority of the first half, but fully deserved our winning margin on the strength of our second half showing.
Hopefully a win like this will serve to rebuild some of the players' confidence in themselves, and just maybe we can go up to Man City and spring a surprise next weekend.

Time for me to get the matchsticks and coffee out now. In their wisdom, Sky have decided that they wont show the match tomorrow morning, they're going to repeat it at 2 am tonight instead...

-------------------

Edit - I noticed again that we were kicking towards the Covered End in the first half. Did anyone see who won the toss?

2 Comments:

Blogger Pedro45 said...

We did; Young plays that way against "big teams" as it gets the crowd going sooner...not sure why he did it against the Baggies though...

1:21 pm  
Blogger CharltonChris said...

I thought it was happening a little too often for it to be the oppositions doing.

I much prefer playing towards the Covered End in the closing stages. When legs are tiring, I think it helps to spur the players on and give them an extra spring in their steps.

1:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home