Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The Squad

If any of the 70 or so people who have viewed the site during the last couple of days are planning to make a habit of coming back here to read what I have to say, I thought it would be a decent idea to state my opinions of the current squad so that you know who I rate, who I don't, and who I would be happy to never see play for us again.

Kind of a getting to know me exercise if you like.

Charlton Athletic 2005/2006 (as of today)

1 . Dean Kiely

Can't kick straight. Not quite sure he marshalls the defence as well as he should, but nevertheless, a cracking shot stopper and well worth keeping hold of for another season or two.

2. Luke Young

Bursts forward from right back with intent. Drives towards the edge of the box, and then passes it back to midfield. Frustrating sometimes, but a decent player.

3. Hermann Hreidarsson

Was a real favourite of mine when he signed, but has been getting progressively worse over the last couple of seasons. Wayward passing out of defence is all too common these days for old Herms, and is too mouthy towards officials for my liking. Defenders are always going to pick up "valid" cautions through the course of a season, but consistently getting them for dissent is inexcusable.

4. Gonzalo Sorondo

Didn't look too bad against the Gooners before his injury. Especially considering the fact that he has been so short of match practise over the last 4 months. Didn't particularly rate him when he played at the Valley last year for Palace in the cup though, but I think he could be an asset when fit again.

5. Chris Perry

Hardly a man for the future. Does ok, but if we do sign a new centre back in the next week or so, I think we will all be seeing a little less of Perry.

6. Marcus Bent

Decent start from the lad. I know a couple of fans from other clubs he has been at though, and they all say that he starts well, and then loses interest after a season or so. I've covered him in another post.

7. Radostin Kishishev

Bit of a tricky one. From where I sit in the Covered End, it seems that the general opinion of Kish is that he isn't good enough.
I would agree to an extent, but to me he always looks as though he's trying. Because of that he will always get a cheer from me.

8. Matthew Holland

I never even notice him when he's playing. Get rid.

9. Jason Euell

Still our record signing and it's a shame that things have gone the way they have for Jase. I'll be sorry to see him go, but go he shall.

10. Darren Bent

Only real striker we've had since Clive and Andy left. I only hope that he can fulfil his ambitions with Charlton.
No issues at all. Except perhaps the surname.

12. Kevin Lisbie

Close the door on your way out..

13. Danny Murphy

If you don't want to play for us Danny, then don't.
If you do want to play for us, then great, you're very welcome, but you have to knuckle down and appreciate that you are not playing for a top 4 club anymore, and the players around you aren't of the same quality that you grew up playing with.

14. Jerome Thomas

Yeah, I like him. At the start of this season with him on one wing and Dennis on the other we looked a real threat.
I think everyone loves wingers. One of the best sights in football is your wide man skinning a full back on his way to the bye line. (Not that Jerome often skins anyone, but he will do with experience. He has the pace and ability for it).

15. Talal El Karkouri

Bit of a nutcase defender. Makes odd decisions in his reading of the game, and prone to the occasional cynical challenge, but I'd still keep him at the club.

16. Stephan Andersen

I was looking forward to seeing him get his chance preseason. He's always looked good in the reserves, and the fact that his distribution was such a strong point (whereas Kiely's was awful) made him look very attractive indeed.
When he got in though, he did make a mistake or three. He is doubtless a good shot-stopper, but I heard that he refused to travel to an away game with the reserves the other week, and if thats the case, then he needs a reality check.
He can certainly become good enough to be our number one, but he is still young, and he needs to earn it through consistence. Not through length of time in the stiffs.

Bit of a lengthy post if I go all the way through to 38. Perhaps I'll leave it here and pick up again tomorrow night.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As an afterthought, congratulations to Wigan on reaching the Cup Final tonight. What were the odds this time last year of them being not only top 6, but on their way to Cardiff as well...

2 Comments:

Blogger Hilltothevalley said...

strike out Kiely ... gone!! Otherwise an interesting read, difficult to disagree with too much except Lisbie who should start every week.........Just kidding

4:54 pm  
Blogger CharltonChris said...

Was midway through the Kiely post when I recieved that comment through my email!

5:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home