Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Boro urge fans to snap up tickets

I was looking at the Boro official site this afternoon, and they have now made a plea to their own fans to spoil 'Operation Riverside'. The article says that we are trying to turn the match into a home game, and Middlesbrough have urged their fans 'not to be outsung by the army of 5,000+ traveling Londoners'.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that 5,250 will be the largest Addicks congregation outside of SE7 since the play off final back in 1998. There is no way that they are going to shut us up on the night.

I rang the Boro ticket office a few minutes ago to see if they could give me any indication as to how well tickets have been selling so far. Unfortunately, I think my Southern accent kind of gave the game away when I finally got to the front of the queue! The bloke was extremely unhelpful, and told me that he couldn't tell me how many tickets were available, because seats are still reserved for season ticket holders until 5pm this evening. They are aware that all our tickets were sold within the first 26 hours that they were on sale. Perhaps they are being cagey about numbers out of worry that there will be Addicks trying to gain entry to the home ends of the ground on the night. I'll just try again in the morning and put on a dodgy Northern accent.

As Inspector Sands claims, a major factor on the crowd up there will be the outcome of their second leg against FC Basel which is live tomorrow night on ITV 4 at 8pm. It's all they're talking about at the moment, and if they overturn their 2-0 defeat in Switzerland, that will put the added financial drain of another European away day into the fans minds, and perhaps a few of them will make the decision to avoid our replay and save their money for the UEFA Cup game. I'll probably watch their game tomorrow, it's a massive game for them so they should play their strongest side, and I'm interested to know what McLaren thinks that is.

From our point of view the club claim that we have been issued another 400 tickets which will go on sale tomorrow at 9am, but Varney stated that 150 of those tickets have already been reserved as the initial allocation was oversubscribed somewhat. One of my mates claims to know someone whose brother's stepmother's second cousin's roommate's girlfriend works for Middlesbrough. He told me that there are up to 2,000 more tickets available, but if we took the extra allocation from them, we would have to pay for the tickets even if they weren't all sold by the night of the game. I'm not sure I believe that, but there you go. I'm sure the club has a waiting list, and if there are tickets available we will find a way to get them sold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home