Thursday, April 20, 2006

HH takes a break

The main Charlton news today relates to the fact that Hreidarsson had been issued with a three match ban for the last minute 'elbow' at Craven Cottage last week. HH apparently pleaded guilty to the charge of violent conduct, and although the club was given the right to appeal, they chose not to persue the matter further. Hermann will now miss all of our remaining fixtures, and that means that our defensive options are almost stretched to their limit.

Sorondo and Perry will be able to cover in the middle, and I'd assume that Sankofa and Powell will take the full back positions, but if we were to suffer another injury blow up at Bolton (fairly possible when you consider Sorondo's injury record), I don't know who we would turn to. I was just looking through the squad list and does anyone know what's happened to John Fortune? I don't remember reading about him getting a long term injury, but the last time I can remember seeing his name in the matchday squad was way back on February 5th at White Hart Lane. With El Karkouri gone, and Fortune seemingly invisible, we are one injury away from having no defenders fit for our last couple of games.

I'd still be interested to find out what happened with El Karkouri (incidentally, regular readers of the page will remember the email I had a while back claiming to be from Talal himself, I did reply to that email but I have not received any further communication from him). He left fairly suddenly, Smertin left fairly suddenly, Murphy left fairly suddenly, Kiely left fairly suddenly, and back in the summer the Paul Konchesky move also sprung up out of nowhere. We went into this season with what Curbishley described as the strongest squad he had ever worked with at Charlton. I find it odd that with all of the dead wood there is at the club, the five decent players mentioned above have been the ones shown the door.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home