Thursday, January 26, 2006

Cast your votes..

The 'in person' voting for the supporters director finally begins on Saturday, and the club/candidates have made such a big deal out of advertising it over the last few weeks, it will be interesting to know just how many season ticket holders will be ticking a box at the weekend…

When the names were published I had a clear idea about who would go on to win it, but after reading all of the literature in circulation I was altogether more confused.

I think the problem lies in the fact that each of the four would de a reasonable job of representing us if elected, so much of an individuals vote will likely be decided by:

> Previous experience of dealing with that person

> Friendship with that person

> Voting in accordance with the way friends/relatives vote, and

> Recognition of the candidate

For example, Brian Cole’s appearances on the pitch at the Valley will make him recognisable to certain fans, whereas Sue Townsend or Ben Hayes could walk past the majority of supporters without being recognised. Same goes for Vince Nieszwiec and his appearance on The Parliament on ITV, he will also benefit from public image.

There are an awful lot of season ticket holders who may have access to the internet, but do not regularly read the official and unofficial sites where much of this campaign has been fought. I don’t normally buy the matchday programmes, so I’m not positive, but I don’t think too much space has been given in there for each candidate to speak to the fans directly.
So policy, although it is crucial, may not prove to be a real deciding factor in the vote of Mr and Mrs Average J. Addick.

My Vote

The only member of this quartet I have personally spoken to in the past is Sue Townsend. She was thoroughly professional throughout the period of contact I had with her, and when I saw her name on the list I planned to vote for her from the start, but my opinions have changed after looking at the campaigns of others.

Without meaning to sound disrespectful to Sue, the snowball incident up at Newcastle which was covered so well by the media also helped to persuade me that the fans need someone in the role who is a little more in tune with the feelings of the regular fans, the Covered End singers, and the religious away travellers.

The man for me is Vince Nieszwiec. There have been some questions raised as to whether he can deliver upon all of the promises he has made, but I am prepared to give him a chance to do so.
I like the idea of the banners in the covered end. I like the idea of the cost-price coaches to enable easy travel to away games, and more than anything else; I have been swayed by his promises to “Enhance the atmosphere at The Valley”.

Now, a vote is a very individual thing, and I expect some disagreement with this story, but the singing area where I sit definitely does need revising, and the safe standing area is something that I would love to see come into being. Not sure how you’re going to get the council to agree with us Vince, but if you really can do the things that you say you can, then you have my backing all the way...

Whether you agree or you disagree, don’t waste your chance to have your say.
Anyone who would rather vote online than in person at The Valley can do so here.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any ST' Holder doesn't attend the Orient game should hang their heads in shame , if Orient outsing us , its a F'Kin disgrace

8:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any ST' Holder doesn't attend the Orient game should hang their heads in shame , if Orient outsing us , its a F'Kin disgrace

8:33 pm  
Blogger CharltonChris said...

Well there are going to be 6,000 of them. Its a much bigger day for them than it is for us I'm sorry to say.

Somehow, I think we will be on the end of a vocal thrashing tomorrow, unless we get the old early goal or two to calm the team down.

8:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home