Thursday, May 18, 2006

The saga continues

"Every day I've thought about it, thinking that my heart is not in it. My heart is staying with Hull City."Peter Taylor

If your heart wasn't in it, why did you bother estranging your chairman and alienating your supporters by claiming that you wanted to hear what we had to offer in the first place? Something smells a little off about this in my opinion. You don’t turn up for an interview if you have no interest in the job.
I reckon he either wasn't happy with whatever financial package was offered, or perhaps Charlton told him that we wouldn't allow our manager to remain as England U21 boss at the same time as managing us. Whatever his reasons, he's ruled himself out now.

The guy with the next shortest odds is Billy Davies, manager of beaten Play-Off semi finalists Preston. He's essentially evens on Betfair and he's a guy I don't know too much about. That frightens me a little bit.

Here is his management record to date courtesy of soccerbase.
(Click to enlarge)




Mick McCarthy remains second favourite if you believe the bookmakers (surely no one really wants him in charge), and third in the running is Palace manager Iain Dowie. If the next manager has to come from these three men then Dowie would be my first choice. It would almost be worth offering him the job just to see the look on Simon Jordan's face! I'd certainly read his column that week...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

cleaned up on Betfair by laying Taylor, stuck a tenner on McCarthy to cheer me up if he gets it!

Don't think Lee is a runner, Bolton are denying any knowledge of an approach which doesn't fit the pattern of Taylor and Davies

Personally I think Billy Davies would be a cracking choice. Good motivator, good communicator and has done a terrific job at Preston. Most of all he may persuade Nugent to move south with him!

11:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home